The contract expiry thread

Coventry City Chat!
Can *Insert current manager here* keep us up?
Has *insert whatever shite midfielder we have here* made a forward pass?
Keep up to date with Covenders!

Previous topicNext topic

Re: The contract expiry thread

Postby Marty » Tue May 04, 2010 2:01 pm

i would get rid of him to, it's only 11 goals hes scored all season, spend the money on getting someone more suited to play with Eastwood, & i think Eastwood will bang in loads for us.
Marty
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby billythefish » Thu May 06, 2010 12:08 pm

Marty wrote:
i would get rid of him to, it's only 11 goals hes scored all season, spend the money on getting someone more suited to play with Eastwood, & i think Eastwood will bang in loads for us.

How many has Eastwood scored whilst he has been here compared to Morrison? From the few games I have seen this year and most of the game last season then Morrison was head and shoulders above Eastwood.
billythefish

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby Marty » Thu May 06, 2010 12:29 pm

Eastwood has scored only 12 goals, but don't forget hes been stuck out on the wing for the majority of the time hes been here.

Morrison acts like a spoilt brat everytime a ball isn't played perfectly to him, throwing his arms up in the air, moaning to anyone who'll listen, he has only scored 21 goals in two seasons.
Marty
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Timbo » Thu May 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Eastwood hasn't been played out wide much this season.
Timbo

Prediction League Wins: 1

Postby Marty » Thu May 06, 2010 2:28 pm

I would say about half his starts this season have been out wide. When he did get a run in the side up front, he was scoring goals.

Anyway, Eastwood has a better goals to games ratio. (counting only starts)
Marty
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Timbo » Thu May 06, 2010 2:50 pm

A quick look on Soccerbase and I reckon Eastwood played up front in around 15 of the 21 league games he started. Thats more than I thought but less than your guess. Half his sub appearances have probably been out wide or as a three pronged attack. I think all his goals came in those 15 games which supports your argument.
Timbo

Prediction League Wins: 1

Postby AD » Thu May 20, 2010 3:43 pm

Need to add in Callum Wilson - 2011
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby skyblue » Thu May 20, 2010 10:48 pm

I think Eastwood is a much better player than Morrison, his link up play can be superb at times. With regards to his goal scoring I think he is very much a confidence player in front of goal, and a runof games up front will only increase his confidence and improve his goals tally for us.

I've heard that Morrison is our top earner and I don't think he does anything to merit that.
Have fun
skyblue
Manager
Manager

Highscores: 2

Postby AD » Tue May 25, 2010 1:21 pm

Nathan Cameron - 2011
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby billythefish » Wed May 26, 2010 5:44 pm

skyblue wrote:
I think Eastwood is a much better player than Morrison, his link up play can be superb at times. With regards to his goal scoring I think he is very much a confidence player in front of goal, and a runof games up front will only increase his confidence and improve his goals tally for us.

I've heard that Morrison is our top earner and I don't think he does anything to merit that.

There was an interview on Sports Wales down here with John Toshack who basically he thought that Eastwood had to do something pretty spectacular to make his wales squad again let alone the team. He felt that as a player he had gone backwards and perhaps lost the hunger he had at Southend to prove West Ham (who released him wrong). He said he had sent scouts to see him 6 or 7 times this year and seen him at 3 local games himself and he didnt see anything to warrant a recall.

Got admit I agree and dont see him being a success here but opinions eh and hope I am proven wrong
billythefish

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby AD » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:06 pm

Not exactly a vital one to add but Michael Quirke - 2011
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby Telent tubbie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:15 am

You can't bully me, Aidy! Coventry keeper Keiren Westwood won't be pushed into penning new deal after rift with Boothroyd

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z0yG6msVhE
I am with Westy on this one, the damage was done before Boothroyd arrived, He should have been given a better deal long ago. (another one of the crown jewels) It just seems whoever handles the contract situation at the club is leaving it to late if what has been said is right. As for Boothroyd, Stop sulking and play your best players or you will get the sack before Santa IMO.
Telent tubbie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Highscores: 1

Postby Marty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:21 am

Westwood said: 'Six months ago I would have signed a new deal, 12 months ago I was asking for a new deal,

12 months ago would mean it was just after his first season with us? we shouldn't be giving players long term contracts after 1 good year, Stephen Hughes was offered a 3 year extension after a good first season, and i rarely remember a good performance from him after, same with Gunnarsson, done piss all last season after a first good year, we should have offered Westwood a good contract late last season though as it's quite obvious his first season wasn't a fluke. What has changed from 6 months ago when he was willing to sign the contract?

The simple fact is, if he wants to stay then just sign the contract, if he doesn't then thanks for your performances and bye, hes not irreplaceable.

Seems that Aidy has handled it all wrong though, and i'd much rather have Westwood in the team then that clown Turner.
Marty
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:23 am

Lee Mills - Sign Him Up, Sign Him Up!
Joe
Manager
Manager

Postby Telent tubbie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:47 am

Joe wrote:
Lee Mills - Sign Him Up, Sign Him Up!

Stockport trio Gianluca Havern, Sam Hare and Richie Partridge have all left the club after agreeing settlements on their contracts. Bring back the messiah.
Telent tubbie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Highscores: 1

Postby AD » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:26 am

Marty wrote:

Westwood said: 'Six months ago I would have signed a new deal, 12 months ago I was asking for a new deal,

12 months ago would mean it was just after his first season with us? we shouldn't be giving players long term contracts after 1 good year, Stephen Hughes was offered a 3 year extension after a good first season, and i rarely remember a good performance from him after, same with Gunnarsson, done piss all last season after a first good year, we should have offered Westwood a good contract late last season though as it's quite obvious his first season wasn't a fluke. What has changed from 6 months ago when he was willing to sign the contract?

The simple fact is, if he wants to stay then just sign the contract, if he doesn't then thanks for your performances and bye, hes not irreplaceable.

Seems that Aidy has handled it all wrong though, and i'd much rather have Westwood in the team then that clown Turner.

I kind of agree with you after the first season, but once that form continued into the second until Xmas when he was still asking about a new contract with just 18 months left on his current one? Being told that you're invaluable is one thing, but when that's not backed up with actions you're going to get frustrated. Yet it has taken AB's comments over a year later (which I said would give Westwood an excuse to say he was off) before he finally broke his silence about the whole affair.

This has happened too many times now with it being left far too late and RR still doesn't seem to get the message. He always states how well he's done to get 'the best deal for Coventry City' by selling a player coming to the end of the contract, when the best deal for Coventry City would have been the player staying at the club by offering him a new contract sooner. It's also harming their own investment. Firstly the player can leave for much less than he would under contract, or nothing at all, and you've then got to go and spend money on buying replacements.

A chairman can't win in this situation, as if he doesn't offer a new contract and the player leaves on a free he'll be lambasted, as he will be if he offers a new contract and the form dips. Obviously we don't know how much Westwood wants and whether the club could afford it, but of the two scenarios I think the second is easier for fans to understand and the chairman comes out of it looking better. Offering a new contract to a good player who then stops playing as well looks bad on the player, whereas not offering one to a good player who then leaves for nothing makes the chairman look short-sighted.

We're always hearing about consistency and stability but that goes further than the manager. If you want a close knit squad you have to retain players in that squad for a number of years so that they want to work for each other and know how the players around them will react. For me that's why Man U are always towards the upper echelons and players who look decidely average for a long while like Fletcher and Park can become integral squad members. Chelsea are looking more solid in the last year or so as their squad has settled down and a number of the players have now been there a number of years. Real's 'Galactico's' failed, as did Man City last year, and will fail this for the same reason.

Obviously these teams are lucky enough to have the resources to keep on players others maybe couldn't afford to and also their better players aren't going to be enticed away as there isn't really anywhere better to go.
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby dog rout 21 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:21 am

Footballer in being a money grabbing disloyal **** shocker. Sign the contract, become the highest paid player and stop whinning about not being appreciated like a pre-menstural woman or fuck off. Then again it's the daily mail so it's probably utter bollocks anyway.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
dog rout 21
Administrator
Administrator

Postby chiefdave » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:01 pm

It all seems a bit strange, In April you got Coleman saying he's spoken to Westwood and hes saying he wants to stay and RR is going to speak to him about a new contact, then in May after sacking Coleman RR said him going wouldn't affect their attempts to keep Westwood and that he was talking to his agent to try to agree a deal. Then the offer came in from Celtic and Ady went on record saying he wanted to keep him and talks were ongoing so it's not like Ady bowled up and started having a go, he's said many times he wants to keep him and it seems to be Westwood who doesn't want to sign.

If you actually look at the quote from Westwood he says "The manager asked me if I was going to sign and I said no and that is it. I have not asked to leave, I just said I don't want to sign the contract". So they've offered him a contact and he doesn't want to sign it. From what's been rumoured the offer will make him our best paid player so he can't really ask for much more than that. Looking at it from that standpoint I think Ady is right, OK you can debate if anything should have been said in public but if Westwood is indicating he's not going to sign and we're still in the process of building the squad Ady wants he's better off planning to not have him and if that means him not playing that's Westwoods bad luck and will quite possible mean he doesn't get the offers he might think he's going to get when he's out of contact.

Turner is highly thought of and from what's being said in the press he won't want to come here and sit on the bench so it could be that is impacting on things as they may need Westwood to make up his mind before they make a move to sign Turner permanently.
check out my label @ notonyourradio.com
+++ THE GOOD TIME CHARLIES, DEVILDOLLS & INSOFAR OUT NOW +++
+++ THE KRAK, YOUNG HEART ATTACK, THE LOYALTIES, RADIO DEAD ONES & MY TURN TO KILL COMING SOON +++
chiefdave
Manager
Manager

Postby AD » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:32 pm

Suppose it's about time this was updated for the new season.

Need to delete Osbourne, Gunnar, Westwood, McIndoe, O'Halloran, Quirke, Carsley and King.

2012 - McSheffrey, Platt, Ireland, Christie, Burge

2013 - Jeffers, Wilson, Cameron, Thomas

2014 - Murphy, Dunn, Clarke
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby adge » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:30 pm

AD wrote:Suppose it's about time this was updated for the new season.

Need to delete Osbourne, Gunnar, Westwood, McIndoe, O'Halloran, Quirke, Carsley and King.

2012 - McSheffrey, Platt, Ireland, Christie, Burge

2013 - Jeffers, Wilson, Cameron, Thomas

2014 - Murphy, Dunn, Clarke
Any chance to delete now from 2012-2014?
Lest we forget-THE AWFUL PAUL TELFER!
adge
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to CCFC Chat