Trouble at mill?

Coventry City Chat!
Can *Insert current manager here* keep us up?
Has *insert whatever shite midfielder we have here* made a forward pass?
Keep up to date with Covenders!

Previous topicNext topic

Trouble at mill?

Postby FBIB » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:02 pm

FBIB
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Trouble at mill?

Postby billythefish » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:56 am

I think he just expressed the opinions of many people who are fed up with the club. If you ignore the off field nonsense then that performance was dire.

I think on paper the team is much better than what it is producing, it seems leaderless, scared of failure and has little or no confidence. I like Elvis and everything he has done under difficult circumstances but at some point even his strongest advocate must start thinking that if things dont change soon then he needs to go. Once again it sounds as if there will be a high number of players who he brought in leaving and being replaced by similar. With the exception of O'Brien and Reda none of the players he has brought in have really shined.

Other managers with the same or smaller budgets seem to be getting better out of lesser squads.
billythefish

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby AD » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:24 pm

I think SP may well be starting to lose the dressing room as quickly as he's losing the supporters. The tactics were predictable (everything was given to Nouble to run down the left and cross the ball in), just wrong from the start and it was plain to see. Swindon were playing in second gear or like they were on the training pitch and you always felt that even if we had managed to get one back they'd have just upped their game for 10 minutes to get another. I've not seen a team look that comfortable for a long time, especially away from home.

How on earth Webster keeps coming back in I don't know. One good game and SP praises him like he's Bobby Moore. Shame he's not as scathing when he's shit for the next 10! Although Clarke wasn't great and the reasons for his departure may have been more than purely footballing I'd rather have seen him there, or even Willis. I'm not a huge fan of either, I just think they're better options.

And I'm afraid we need to find someone other than Conor Thomas - he's absolutely no attacking threat either in terms of goals or creating chances and his protection of the back four seems to consist of fouling people as they go past him. Entire games just pass him by. I heard good things about Ivor Lawton last year, not necessarily in terms of technical ability but taking games by the scruff of the neck, leading by example etc.and although he's been injured this season and League football is a different kettle of fish to academy/reserve I'd like to see what he's like.

I like Fleck but would someone please tell him it's OK to shoot from 20yards out from time to time! Pushing the ball wide for a cross has become so predictable and is totally ineffective.

Also Nouble on the left of a front three was a bit of a waste. I like to see him running at people but I'd prefer to see it centrally, maybe working off Madine. I think it also affected Haynes because he had a striker providing 'protection' and he was reluctant to get forward. Besides, he's not the greatest defender in the world anyway.

I can see wholesale changes to the strikers again as Jackson just didn't look like he might make an impact.
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby billythefish » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:51 am

I am not a great fan of Webster either but dont see that many games now so hard for me to comment. Thomas has alwaqys seemed to me to be one of these players that likes to just move the ball a few yards sideways he just never seems to look to play anything else. He looks like a young Stephen Hughes to me.

When watching the game it seemed to me that the players were unused to the system. I know we started the season with 3 CBs and wing backs, then went 4-4-2 now 4-3-3. I dont know how often Nouble or Jackson will have played the wide roles but I dont remember either doing this that often and they did look unsure when to track back and when to press. Perhaps in hindsight we might have been better playing players who are more used to playing wide in those roles. I think Swanson and O'Brien have played wide roles in the past so maybe they could have been better suited to that role and then brought Barton in Finch into midfield.

Not sure what to make of Madine either. He looked a handful, but the service to him was often poor and I thought Swindon coped with him easy enough. It seems that Elvis is desperate to bring him in but that other clubs might be interested. If we dont get him then once again we seem to have changed system ect based on a player that might not even be with us for long. I just think the turnover of players and changing systems every few games just doesnt allow the players to get settled in any way.
billythefish

Prediction League Wins: 2

Return to CCFC Chat