We're Safe

Coventry City Chat!
Can *Insert current manager here* keep us up?
Has *insert whatever shite midfielder we have here* made a forward pass?
Keep up to date with Covenders!

Previous topicNext topic

We're Safe

Postby dog rout 21 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:01 pm

[smilie=icon_blob16.gif] [smilie=icon_blob16.gif] [smilie=icon_blob16.gif]
ISUZU OUT!
#bringcovbacktonorthampton
dog rout 21
Administrator
Administrator

Re: We're Safe

Postby skyblue025 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Never in doubt.
If Fishing is a sport, then i am an athlete!!!

If it's wet and smells of fish be happy!!!
skyblue025
Manager
Manager

Postby AD » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm more than happy with that.

Last game, do we leave out those likely to leave (Christie, Moussa, Murphy) and the loanees to let a few more of the kids have a game to get debuts out of the way? Chances are they'll be a ridiculously large part of next years squad anyway.

I'd play
Burge
Haynes
Clarke
Webster
Seaborne
Adams
Baker
Thomas
Fleck
Wilson
Maddison

Murphy
Phillips
Willis
Lawton
Finch

I know not many people pay much attention to the academy but does anyone know what happened to Tarik azille-Moore? I know he got injured a while back but haven't heard anything about him for ages. Did he leave? Also, any news on next years recruits?
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby The Yid » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:55 pm

I really hope Murphy don't leave. He also sounds from interviews that he WANTS to stay.

Sign him up quick Elvis!!
iPhone [ Post made via iPhone ]
The Yid
Administrator
Administrator

Highscores: 5

Postby billythefish » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:02 am

I guess it will all depend on the budget but agree that Murphy should be re-signed if the finances allow it. What is the situation with Moussa? Elvis was saying that he was fit to play but Moussa seemed to indicate that he was injured. We will miss his goals from midfield should he go.
billythefish

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby AD » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:56 am

I've got the impression Moussa could have played the last few games if he had really wanted but is protecting himself from a recurrence of the injury so it doesn't effect his ability to get a contract somewhere next year, especially if he gets a trial somewhere and needs to be at his best.

I'd like Murphy to stay as well, but the facts are this is probably his last contract before retiring so he'll want it to be a decent one, our budget will go down again and he'd be playing in front of an empty stadium and fighting relegation. Given that the only reason I can see him staying is if no-one else offered him anything and I'd be very surprised if that was the case. I think it would be safer to assume he won't be here, give Burge a game as there is no pressure on it and if Murphy is still here next year it's a massive bonus.

I was surprised Garner was released as Elvis had been praising him highly in recent weeks. Maybe there are other issues there.

One thing I would like to see is Adams and Haynes paired up down the left. One in defence, one in midfield for the first half then switch over in the second to see which seems the best way round.
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby adge » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Think we were all happy with that, but someone was telling me that in the last 22 games it was only 4 wins? If that is the case that is poor by anyones standards.
Lest we forget-THE AWFUL PAUL TELFER!
adge
Manager
Manager

Postby billythefish » Thu May 01, 2014 6:32 am

Yep the slide started when Leon left and then Wilson got injured and we had no real options up front. Losing Moussa for a good part of that was a major part of that and without him next season then I fear that sort of run might continue
billythefish

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby Burf » Thu May 01, 2014 7:23 am

Let's be honest. We're fucked next season.
iPhone [ Post made via iPhone ]
"...your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side..."
Burf
Manager
Manager

Postby adge » Thu May 01, 2014 11:09 am

Yeah i agree with that. If we manage to stay up next season it will be an even better achievement! Can't really see it though with the likes of Moussa, Murphy etc going and a team full of academy players. We all know you dont win anything with kids......
Android [ Post made via Android ]
adge
Manager
Manager

Postby Timbo » Thu May 01, 2014 11:37 am

I think one of the pivotal points in the season was the late draw at Bradford which really seemed to knock our confidence for the next games. Had we continued our storming start up to the New Year maybe we could have held onto Clarke and or brought in better loans.

Its difficult when for much of the season you've been looking at the teams above you to then switch to looking at those below. We were so high in the table that I don't think we realised that it was so condensed that we were far from safe. By the time the penny dropped we'd forgotten how to win. I also think we had a tougher second half of the season fixture-wise.

With the -10 start though I think its been a pretty good season... Pressley seems to be a victim of overachieving for the first third of the season. Next season is going to be the acid test for him but I'm fairly confident he's up to the job. He surprised us at the start of this season and I think that was mostly due to the work he was able to do in pre-season. So who is to say given another close season he won't work wonders again.

Ultimately though things are unlikely to improve dramatically until there is positive news off the pitch.
Timbo

Prediction League Wins: 1

Postby AD » Thu May 01, 2014 12:10 pm

Although this can never be proved I don't think the -10 has actually had any net effect, positive or negative, at all.

I think a number of teams early on in the season wrote us off because of the deduction and failed to take us seriously enough. Far more than that, i think the team played with a freedom that enabled them to play beyond their ability, like a team who have been relegated see an upturn in results once that pressure is off. Once we got ourselves back into the reckoning we did the usual Cov thing of imploding. So what we lost in points we gained in that freedom and being underestimated.

Start of the season we were attacking to an almost ridiculous extent and leaving ourselves wide open at the back. Second half of the season we've tried to be more professional and defend better, but results have fallen off a cliff.

But of course the biggest problems have been 1. The loss of Clarke 2. Moussa's injury 3. Wilson's injury

Without most of those players next year, even lower budget and the loss of that 'freedom' next season will be a very difficult one indeed, especially if SP's scouting and recruitment doesn't improve massively.
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby Burf » Thu May 01, 2014 2:18 pm

in brief then, we're fucked next season.
Burf
Manager
Manager

Postby adge » Thu May 01, 2014 2:19 pm

And if he sticks with the likes of Clark and Willis as the mainstay of the back four.
adge
Manager
Manager

Postby dog rout 21 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:13 pm

I think it very much depends on who he decides to keep and replace, I see the telegraph saying d-day is Monday and he's getting sorted early which I think is good. I'm not sure I'd say we're fucked though at the moment. Could do with keeping Murphy but Christie and Moussa can go as far as I'm concerned, Christie has a bright future but probably needs to move up to a decent side in the Championship to fulfil his potential. Moussa as a one in six type player and we spend too many games carrying him which doesn't justify the odd wonder goal.

We drastically need a change at the back but I think if he were to bin off Webster and/or Seaborne he'd be building around Jordan Clarke, he's stacked it on over the course of the season so reckon he's being groomed to be a stronger centre back. The midfield are hit and miss and probably not the priority as they can be ok at this level. Then it depends on whether Wilson stays (which he's said today he expects to do) and getting another decent striker to link up. Biggest priority for me otherwise would be experience, I'm all for bringing through the youth but we need some solid old pros around them. And I don't mean Prutton because he's fucking wank.
dog rout 21
Administrator
Administrator

Postby adge » Thu May 01, 2014 7:44 pm

Never mind Prutton-Fleck has been arse aswell. Cant remember him dominating a game, but hey he scored against Swindon.....
adge
Manager
Manager

Postby Timbo » Thu May 01, 2014 10:28 pm

Fleck was an excellent first half of the season. So were a lot of the team when we had a settled side. I think we are quick to dismiss our good start to the season off on some perverse positive of the points deduction or the purple patches of Clarke and Wilson or the atmosphere at the ground making it feel like a friendly or some other reason. Why not give the manager some credit.

I hear what you are saying AD but I don't agree that the points deduction had that much effect on our performance and I don't believe it had on the oppositions. If we are going to make unprovable statements then I think had we not had the points deduction we'd have made the playoffs. Our form dipped not only because we lost players but because we fell further and further behind the top six when without the points deduction we'd be in them. Plus you could argue that we lost players (and the ability to bring better ones in) because of our position thanks to the deduction.
Timbo

Prediction League Wins: 1

Postby AD » Thu May 01, 2014 11:14 pm

I understand that and that point of view is the more logical. But I look back at so many seasons before when we have got into a position in or around the play-offs and rather than spurring us on it's been the start of a decline that has often seen us flirting with relegation by the end of the season. From that history it would be just as easy to argue the rot would've just set in a few games earlier had we had those extra 10 points.

I don't think being in the play-offs would've helped keep Clarke either - the finances wouldn't have been that different and Wolves would've still been able to offer him more than us, and besides which he's a Wolves lad and seems to be by nature a very nomadic player. Similarly with players coming in I think the finances and Sixfields situation would be of greater importance, certainly for permanent signings. Maybe loanees would've been easier to get with a team in the play-offs.
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby Burf » Fri May 02, 2014 9:38 am

in short, we're still fucked next season then ? [smilie=icon_blink.gif]
Burf
Manager
Manager

Postby the boss » Fri May 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Burf wrote:in short, we're still fucked next season then ? [smilie=icon_blink.gif]

in answer to your question, yes. Then again I and many others are past caring. Gone are the days of sweating over the outcome of games. I am just thankful of having memories of some great times, something that a whole generation is in danger of missing out on.
2014 will be our year !!
the boss
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to CCFC Chat