Creepy Crawley

Coventry City Chat!
Can *Insert current manager here* keep us up?
Has *insert whatever shite midfielder we have here* made a forward pass?
Keep up to date with Covenders!

Previous topicNext topic

Creepy Crawley

Postby adge » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Well we well and truely cocked that one up! And this aswell...........
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/ ... ty-6499804
Not good :(
Lest we forget-THE AWFUL PAUL TELFER!
adge
Manager
Manager

Re: Creepy Crawley

Postby The Englander » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:55 pm

Not to mention possible investigation into somebody detained concerning an overseas betting syndicate....
The Englander

Highscores: 7

Postby billythefish » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:42 am

I dont see Wolves as being a realistic option for Leon. They have a few decent strikers as it is Griffiths etc and have made a bid for the young lad at Wigan that we are also interested in.

Losing him would probably mean that any very faint chances of making the playoffs are gone. Cant blame him as the club is a joke and until the off field stuff is sorted then anyone is going to struggle to sell the club to anyone.
billythefish

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby CoC » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:46 am

On the Offal now:

Sky Blues striker has handed in a formal transfer request to the club this morning
Coventry City striker Leon Clarke has handed in a formal transfer request.

Clarke, who has scored 18 goals this season on the back of the 10 he fired for City in the second half of the 2012/13 campaign, still has 18 months left to run on his deal with the club.

Development director Steve Waggott said: “I have this morning received a formal transfer request from Leon Clarke. There had been indications over the weekend that this would happen but I was only formally notified this morning after he arrived at the training ground.

“Of course, it’s deeply disappointing when a player expresses a desire to leave the club in this way – especially when he has become such a firm favourite with supporters because of performances over the past 12 months.

“That said, when he still has a year-and-a-half left on his contract we are in a position where we will only let him leave if the deal is right for Coventry City Football Club.

“That means securing the kind of deal that will allow Steven Pressley to strengthen his squad should Leon go.”

Clarke, 28, signed permanently from Charlton for the Sky Blues in January 2013 after a short loan spell.
CoC
Webmaster
Webmaster

Highscores: 1

Prediction League Wins: 1

Postby AD » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:40 am

adge wrote:Well we well and truely cocked that one up! And this aswell...........
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/ ... ty-6499804
Not good :(

Hey it's fine. Jordan can replace him :?

Leon is one of those players who just keeps on moving on, and who seems to think the grass is always greener elsewhere.

He'll prob end up on more money but not playing as much, but in a year he'll be on the move again anyway, either because he wants to play or he's been successful and he'll want to leave to join someone even bigger than Wolves. Although he is a Wolves boy so that may have something to do with it.

Anyway, he won't be playing home games that much further away from Coventry even if he does go.

It could well derail our season though. I've felt Wilson has benefited from defences concentrating on the threat of Leon, giving him room, but without that I fear his goals will dry up. Up to this season and even in the academy he was far from prolific, and his scoring has tailed off a bit recently. Despite the fact we've looked very shaky defensively we're having our best season in ages, highlighting how important a good attack is and the folly of defensive managers like Coleman and Boothroyd.

I'm not sure who could replace him either, especially when you consider Pressley preferred Jordan Clarke up front to any of them yesterday.At the club we've got Slager, Maund and Daniels, all inexperienced themselves and not the physical presence Leon is. Moussa and Baker I think we'd lose more than we'd gain moving them from their current positions. How gutting that just last week we let such a striker leave.

Bringing someone in is probably just as hard, given the current drama around the club. I'm not even sure if the embargo (and 75% of wages rule) still exists, as one of the set of accounts for Holdings hasn't (and won't) be filed, yet hasn't been struck off the company list yet so are still classified as overdue.

Even if not, the two areas of small doubt over Pressley thus far have been our defence and his signings. The players that have done it for him were here prior to his arrival. Yes, some of the youngsters he has put in the team, but much of that was due to necessity more than anything and they came good. Signings like Webster, Manset and Loza hardly set the place on fire, and apart from a brief cameo by Maguire before being recalled, others like Dagnall and Seaborne have looked competent but not phenomenal. Urquhart apparently isn't ready yet and Slager is going to need a fair bit of polishing to become the finished article.
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby adge » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:35 pm

Agree with that. Can't see Jordan Clark being prolific up front-I guess it keeps him from making defensive cock ups though the further up the field he is :? .
Now time for the wheels to really come off!
adge
Manager
Manager

Postby billythefish » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:39 pm

To be fair to Elvis he did say Urquhart and Slager would be ones for the future when they were signed. Not sure how much we would get for Leon and suspect that his worth for us is much greater than the money we will get. Even if we get a decent amount of cash we need to find someone daft enough to come to teh club that will fill a massive gap in the side.

Looks like Seaborne is signing later today subject to a medical so that gives us the defensive cover we need.

Not sure what forwards will be available to come in but assume that Dagnall will be one. Wilson is out for a while and there is no obvious option in the squad hence the reason Loza and Manset etc have been here. Am guessing that we will pick up someone for peanuts from Scotland then rely on loans to fill any gaps.

SISU out!
billythefish

Postby adge » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Mmm-not really sure what Dagnell will bring to the table-whoever comes in will have big boots to fill if/when Clark goes.
Android [ Post made via Android ]
adge
Manager
Manager

Postby Burf » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:53 pm

I think he'll take his boots with him & the new player will bring their own tbh? Don't foresee a problem, equipment wise at least.
iPhone [ Post made via iPhone ]
"...your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side..."
Burf
Manager
Manager

Postby adge » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:23 pm

Indeed! Just ability wise then no doubt.
Android [ Post made via Android ]
adge
Manager
Manager

Postby dog rout 21 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Not sure what I think to this Clarke business. Yes he's going through a purple patch of goals but a lot of it is down to the chances created, he's missed more than his fair share of decent chances and has generally looked uninterested most of the season. If we could spend the money on someone who fits into our system a bit better and has a similar shots to goals ratio then I don't know if we'll suffer that much. I certainly take losing Clarke for a proper centre back who can actually defend.

I realise I'm saying this about the top scorer in the league but maybe I'm trying to convince myself.
ISUZU OUT!
#bringcovbacktonorthampton
dog rout 21
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Burf » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:49 pm

I think - amazingly enough - you're speaking a lot of sense. ;-)

If we could stop conceding so many daft goals we wouldn't actually need to convert loads of chances to win games anyway.
iPhone [ Post made via iPhone ]
Burf
Manager
Manager

Postby Sky Blue Steve-o » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 pm

I don't see why Wolves need another striker - they've got Griffiths, Doyle, Cassidy, Dicko and Sigurdarson already. We could try and take one of those in part exchange but realistically I don't imagine any except perhaps Cassidy would come and I'm not sure he's what we need.
Sky Blue Steve-o
Manager
Manager

Postby billythefish » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:18 am

Rhys Murphy (ex Arsenal kid) has been watched a few times by Elvis
billythefish

Postby AD » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:57 am

I get the argument for shoring up the back line, but we've seen that before at various clubs, and though they often manage to improve it often the goals dry up, and then they're struggling to win matches for that reason. Then pressure is on the defence to keep the opp out, and that makes them nervy and more prone to mistakes.

Admittedly we could get in a striker who doesn't get the goals and then we're conceding still anyway. It's a fine line but given that this season is the best in a long while and our best Prem days were with a potent attack force, I'd rather go down that route. If nothing else it's more interesting with goals flying in left right and centre.
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby billythefish » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:29 pm

With a squad that is very bare then there is a case to sell Leon and reinvest in a couple of players. As we are now out of any transfer embargo then that might help but we would still have the problem of selling the club to the new players. Personally I would look at players like Blair Adams who were regularly in Premiership squads but rarely in the starting line up or on the subs bench. You would probably be able to pick up a couple of these type of players for small fees with a sell on clause. Would much prefer to go down this route than waste money on players at the end of their career with little or no sell on value.

Regardles of what happens with Leon I still think we have a reasonably bright future based upon the number of young solid players we have. Adams, Christie, Wilson, Thomas are all young kids who should get better and have the ability to play at a decent level.
billythefish

Postby The Englander » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:29 pm

If Leon wants to fuck off, then he can fuck off. Interesting reading opinions from fans of other clubs, who think he's decent in this league, but would be shit in the Championship (Wolves fans opinions I've read say Wilson please, not Clarke). With that in mind, if he goes to Wolves, he'll probably be available when he's bombed out after gaining promotion with them, followed by four months on the bench....
The Englander

Highscores: 7

Postby billythefish » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:41 am

Is he better than what Wolves currently have? I doubt that they will want to pay much for him (in wages and fee) unless they can offload Doyle or Griffiths. They are not in the bets financial health and need to get back up to the championship this season. I think I read that they had 8 players being paid over £50k a week on the books at the start of the season. I am guessing some of these will have been offloaded but think they are still paying the likes of Doyle and O'Hara big money. Even players they will have moved out on loan they are probably still paying a good chunk of those wages.

Personally I think this will end with Leon staying with us as Wolves will not meet our valuation of him and cant see him going unless a Championship side comes in with a bid of around £1m. Hopefully whilst this is resolved he will get on with his job in a professional way and keep banging the goals in.

See Ipswich have been linked with the Moose as well. Nice to have clubs wanting our players for a change, for the last couple of seasons even we havent wanted them!
billythefish

Return to CCFC Chat