Bristol

Coventry City Chat!
Can *Insert current manager here* keep us up?
Has *insert whatever shite midfielder we have here* made a forward pass?
Keep up to date with Covenders!

Previous topicNext topic

Bristol

Postby The Yid » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:26 am

Very good game yesterday. Bristol scored 3 of the jammiest goals you'll ever likely see. 5-2 would have been a perfectly fair score.
iPhone [ Post made via iPhone ]
The Yid
Administrator
Administrator

Highscores: 5

Re: Bristol

Postby Nick » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed it, despite being a bit nervy in the 2nd half. More of the same please City
Nick
Manager
Manager

Highscores: 2

Postby slobbydan sillibic » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:26 am

well done sky blues.... odd to note that there is a nine goal game, we pick up our first points of the season but hardly anyone seems to think it post worthy....?
i am wearing sensible feet
slobbydan sillibic
Manager
Manager

Postby The Englander » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Some only post when we're losing....
The Englander

Highscores: 7

Postby the boss » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:34 pm

slobbydan sillibic wrote:well done sky blues.... odd to note that there is a nine goal game, we pick up our first points of the season but hardly anyone seems to think it post worthy....?

you can only kick a bull in the bollox for so many years before it tells you to fuck off.
2014 will be our year !!
the boss
Manager
Manager

Postby Des » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:30 pm

Well I wasn't there, so not a lot to say. Pleased and worried. Pleased that the youngsters are sticking it to adge, worried that if they start attracting too much interest, they'll be sold sharpish.

Looking forward to Shrewsbury and few other away games that are reasonably close. Port Vale, Walsall, Wolves, etc.
--
"I'm curvy, it's just the way I yam"
Des

Postby AD » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:30 pm

I can see a lot of neutrals wanting to go to Sixfields at this rate? 17 goals in two games. I swear we've had entire seasons with that amount of goals at home games!

Surprised the attendance was even lower than the first game, even with less away fans - I expected closer to 4k.

Maybe the Cobblers chairman is now shitting himself with worry they'll start losing fans to us!
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby Des » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:09 am

AD wrote:I can see a lot of neutrals wanting to go to Sixfields at this rate? 17 goals in two games. I swear we've had entire seasons with that amount of goals at home games!

Surprised the attendance was even lower than the first game, even with less away fans - I expected closer to 4k.

Maybe the Cobblers chairman is now shitting himself with worry they'll start losing fans to us!

Don't worry AD, a paper-thin squad and a few good sales will sort that out :lol:
Des

Postby billythefish » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:32 am

How well are the team playing? From what I am hearing and from watching the highlights it seems as if Pressley has got a young team playing some decent football but that we are prone to errors. Looked like we could have scored a few more against Preston than just the four we got.

Hopefully we can bring in a solid centre back and we might just start moving up this table.
billythefish

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby dog rout 21 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:44 pm

billythefish wrote:How well are the team playing?

We look frightening going forward, power, pace, skill and dangerous finishing (most of the time although Clarke has missed a few good chances). Callum Wilson is a different player and him and Clarke are linking up really well.

Midfield - Moussa has picked up where he left off last season and is creating a lot. Fleck and Thomas seem to be sitting a bit deeper and dictating the play, I've been impressed with both, Thomas is getting better with every game and Fleck's range of passing is something I've not seen him do before. Daniels had a couple of good games but struggled on Sunday, be interesting to see how Baker changes things.

Full Backs - great when they get forward and really add to the total football feel but too many crosses are coming in for my liking.

Centre Backs - Jordan Clarke shouldn't be anywhere near this category, can't really blame him but he's just not got the attributes to play there, don't think I've seen him win a header yet and gets muscled out all too often. Webster seems alright but is what you see is what you get.

Murphy - seems to be getting a bit of stick and you could probably fault him for a few goals already this season but at other times he keeps us in the game, I'd be interested to see how many times he's tested compared to other keepers with a better defence in front of them. The law of averages says he's bound to make more mistakes the more work he has to do.

Overall - This is as good as I've ever seen us going forward, everything just seems to be clicking and we just over-run teams. We need to tighten up defensively as a whole team, midfield needs to contribute more to this and we obviously blatantly need another centre back, ideally a big **** who can win a header. To emphasise this, a lot of goals seem to be coming from either crosses or second balls not getting picked up or cleared. Big positives are the work-rate, determination and our fitness levels, all seem to be characteristically Pressley. It just makes us look so unfit in previous seasons and really shows the benefits by the way we're still at it late on and getting results when a normal city team would have given up 10 minutes before.
ISUZU OUT!
#bringcovbacktonorthampton
dog rout 21
Administrator
Administrator

Postby AD » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:10 pm

It's quite odd how an ex-centre back has got us looking so good going forward but so weak at the back.

It puts a bit of a question over his ability to spot defensive talent that this early into the season he's already dropped the one centre back he retained from last year in favour of someone he bombed out playing in an unnatural position. Far too lightweight and small (he's nowhere near 6ft as the official profile says). But at least it shows he's willing to change things I suppose. I don't see Webster being any improvement on Cameron or Edge, but without knowing the respective wages it's difficult to say if it was for finance reasons, although being an international I can't see him being a cheap option.
AD
Manager
Manager

Postby dog rout 21 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:26 pm

One thing I'd say to that is the significance he's seemingly put on attitude and the marked difference it's made on the pitch. Given this difference, I can't help but trust him with the decisions he's made with the players he's frozen out/let go. With regards to Willis, I think having seen him play in a couple of games with Clarke that he might have made the decision that given the two of them are so similar in build he wanted to use Clarke's extra bit of experience but who knows. He really does need to leave off the wingers and strikers now and make bringing in a centre back priority though.
dog rout 21
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Going forward reminds me a little of the 86 -87 season when Benno got the ball and went on a run you always had hope that he would produce something for teh forwards to feed off or skin the defence and put one in - Christie has impressed me when he has got forward and Moussa gives you that buzz when he picks up the ball - Wilson is like lightning when he goes for it and both him and Clarke missed a few on Sunday. Long may it continue
Nick
Manager
Manager

Postby The Yid » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:34 am

I think they are playing without fear, and a lot of that comes from the fact the crowd no matter how small are not on their backs after 3 mins - unlike the Ricoh. How many times have you heard people at the Ricoh start moaning because we aren't winning within the first 5 mins, or (my personal favourite) spending an hour moaning about how shit a player is playing - only to discover he's been sat on the bench the whole time. Clearly a positive support is doing wonders for the confidence - particularly the youngsters, and I think the senior players are doing an excellent job supporting them.

As for the football, probably the best we've played since leaving the Premier League. We need to work on defending, but it will come as they get used to each other, and another defender would be a huge addition to squad - but when have we ever looked like such a potent attacking force?
iPhone [ Post made via iPhone ]
The Yid
Administrator
Administrator

Highscores: 5

Postby billythefish » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:48 am

My god! - positive views. All I need now is a Saturday game at Northampton and will pop up and take a look. Nailed on for a nil nil that one!
billythefish

Prediction League Wins: 2

Postby skyblue » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:54 am

Part of the "no-pressure" could come from starting the season on minus ten points. Pressley could just say nothing is expected from you this season so just go out and play football.

Defensively we are looking leaky but I am impressed with the attitude and the improvement in JC at the back. He is obviously not a natural centre back but he is working hard at improving and he is trying to do the job, with his pace and a little more experience he could work out well. There is a long history of smaller centre halves who have excelled at reading the game and getting to the second ball and Clark could be like that. I'd prefer a Steve Bruce but it is good to see JC giving it a go and trying to be a better footballer. If nothing else the experience could help him to be a better full back if he plays there again.

Wilson looks amazing and I would be surprised if he is still playing for us by the start of next season- it is early days but he seems to have all the attributes to go on and become a real top class striker.

A few more games like this and we may even get few neutrals turning up to our matches- the extra tenner in revenue will really help build the new stadium.
Have fun
skyblue
Manager
Manager

Postby Burf » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:38 pm

There is a long history of smaller centre halves who have excelled at reading the game and getting to the second ball and Clark could be like that.

that's obviously Dickie Shaw you're referring to - I know Realist will agree.... :lol: :lol:
"...your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side..."
Burf
Manager
Manager

Bristol

Postby Roger Mellie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:13 pm

You must have some miserable fucking lives to still give a shit about that mob.

It's not entertaining football, it's embarrassing. Like fucking basketball.

But it surprises me not one jot that the bellends who follow franchised football find all this shite a good day out.

Good work Marlon.

Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up.
Roger Mellie
Manager
Manager

Return to CCFC Chat